Laverock, a 5-year-old son of Octagonal owned by Godolphin, took an early lead under Frankie Dettori in the 1 1/2-mile contest, but he was unable to withstand the challenge of the Peter Rau-trained Saddex, who took command with five furlongs left to run.
Saddex powered away under jockey Torsten Mundry to win easily over First Stream. Bussoni finished third, another half-length further back.
Final time for the 12 furlongs was 2:30.7 over a turf course rated soft.
Saddex is a 4-year-old colt by Sadler’s Wells out of Remote Romance, by Irish River. He was bred in England by the Niarchos family, and was sold as a yearling at the October 2004 Deauville sale.
Remote Romance is a winning half-sister to group I/grade I winners Chimes of Freedom and Denon. Champions Spinning World and Aldebaran also hail from this tremendous female family.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong