Super Frolic, a grade II stakes winner of more than $1.4 million, headlines the Evangeline Mile Handicap, the marquee race of the season at Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino on Saturday night.
Although winless in his last 10 starts, the 7-year-old son of Pine Bluff has been a solid competitor during the streak, including a pair of third place finishes behind Lava Man in the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) and Pacific Classic (gr. I). Super Frolic will be making his second start of the current season, finishing second behind multiple stakes winner Silent Pleasure in the Tiznow Breeders’ Cup Handicap at Louisiana Downs last month.
Owned by Millennium Farms and trained by Steve Asmussen, Super Frolic will tote high weight of 119 pounds. Luis Quinonez, who captured the Evangeline Mile last year aboard Dreamsandvisions, has the riding assignment.
Costa Rising, a victim of one of the many upsets recorded on Louisiana Legends Night June 30 at Evangeline Downs, and the hard-knocking High Strike Zone are both on their home turf and figure prominently.
Costa Rising, who dominated the Louisiana bred ranks last year winning eight of 13 starts and earning more than $400,000 on the season for owner Charles Castille Jr., has been training sharply and could prove tough to catch if allowed to dictate the early pace. Glenn Delahoussaye trains the son of Royal Strand and Kerwin Clark will ride.
High Strike Zone, a multiple stakes winner and track record holder at Evangeline Downs, is making his third consecutive start in this event. He has has won three of six races this year while pushing his lifetime bankroll past the $650,000 for owner Donald Erickson and trainer Amos Laborde.
Others in the field include Dreamsandvisions, the defending champion, and 12-time winner Watchem Smokey.
$200,000 Evangeline Downs Mile Handicap (Race 8, 9:22 p.m.), 3 & Up
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Watchem Smokey (OK), Gerard Melancon, 115, 8/1
2. Super Frolic (KY), Luis S. Quinonez, 119, 8/5
3. Dreamsandvisions (TX), Donnie J. Meche, 116, 8/1
4. Cat Man (LA), Jason Tervort, 114, 15/1
5. Gigawatt (KY), Carlos Lozada, 114, 20/1
6. Marion's Man (IL), Sylvester J. Carmouche, Jr., 115, 15/1
7. Rocket Strike (PA), Sidney P. LeJeune, Jr., 113, 20/1
8. High Strike Zone (KY), Steve J. Bourque, 117, 5/1
9. Costa Rising (LA), Kerwin D. Clark, 117, 3/1
10. Pinecrest Boy (LA), Kirk Paul LeBlanc, 113, 20/1
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014