Trainer Bruce Headley has been a model of consistency while racing on synthetic surfaces, but it’s not the model he’s accustomed to.
Through Aug. 1, the veteran trainer has no wins in 38 starts on the synthetic Cushion Track at Hollywood Park and Polytrack at Del Mar. That might be disappointing, Headley notes, “But I’ve had lots of seconds.” One of those seconds came Wednesday in the sixth race when So Long Sonoma was runner-up, beaten a nose by Ex Caelis. Overall, his record shows 11 seconds and four thirds in his 38 starts.
“And I keep sending them out, anyway,” he added.
He’ll have a couple more chances when he sends out his two stable stars – Arson Squad and Surf Cat – on Pacific Classic day Aug. 19. Arson Squad is being prepared for the $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) at 1 1/4 miles and Surf Cat for the $300,000 Pat O’Brien Handicap (gr. II) over seven furlongs.
Arson Squad was clocked in 1:25 4/5 in a seven-furlong workout on Tuesday on Polytrack. Surf Cat turned six furlongs in a bullet 1:12 4/5 Wednesday, also on Polytrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident