Trainer Bruce Headley has been a model of consistency while racing on synthetic surfaces, but it’s not the model he’s accustomed to.
Through Aug. 1, the veteran trainer has no wins in 38 starts on the synthetic Cushion Track at Hollywood Park and Polytrack at Del Mar. That might be disappointing, Headley notes, “But I’ve had lots of seconds.” One of those seconds came Wednesday in the sixth race when So Long Sonoma was runner-up, beaten a nose by Ex Caelis. Overall, his record shows 11 seconds and four thirds in his 38 starts.
“And I keep sending them out, anyway,” he added.
He’ll have a couple more chances when he sends out his two stable stars – Arson Squad and Surf Cat – on Pacific Classic day Aug. 19. Arson Squad is being prepared for the $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) at 1 1/4 miles and Surf Cat for the $300,000 Pat O’Brien Handicap (gr. II) over seven furlongs.
Arson Squad was clocked in 1:25 4/5 in a seven-furlong workout on Tuesday on Polytrack. Surf Cat turned six furlongs in a bullet 1:12 4/5 Wednesday, also on Polytrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale