With the win, Soldier Hollow became just the second horse since World War II to win two editions of the race.
Soldier Hollow, who was Germany’s Horse of the Year in 2005, stalked the hot pace set by Sommertag, as that one led the field by eight lengths at one point. Formal Decree, ridden by Kerrin McEvoy for Godolphin, took over the lead from a tiring Sommertag with two furlongs left.
Soldier Hollow and rider Andrasch Starke were just getting into gear, however, and assumed command with just over a furlong left. The pair pulled away in the stretch to win by three lengths over Formal Decree, who held on for second by a head over the filly Dominante.
The victory marked Soldier Hollow’s 12th win in 30 lifetime starts. Altogether, the 7-year-old has been in the money 21 times in his career.
Soldier Hollow is a bay horse by In the Wings, out of Island Race, by Common Grounds. He is trained by Peter Schiergen for owner Helmut von Finck.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes