He missed mounts in the next five races but when X-rays proved negative, Baze was released. He planned to return for his mounts in the seventh, eighth, and ninth races.
Two horses had to be vanned off after the race for $50,000 claimers. Brice Blanc pulled up Mohawk on the first turn, the 7-year-old mare suffering a possible condylar fracture in her left foreleg that was reportedly not life-threatening. Lyrical Sound fractured her left foreleg approaching the wire and finished fifth. Baze was trying to pull her up and was thrown. The 4-year-old filly had to be euthanized.
Baze was expected to honor his riding commitment on Battle Won, one of the favorites in the $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I).
Through Saturday, the 10th day of the meeting, the 20-year-old Baze had 15 winners to lead second-place Victor Espinoza, who had 10.
Del Mar debuted its synthetic surface, Polytrack, at this summer’s meeting to positive reviews. Horsemen have praised the new main track as safe for horses. However, Lyrical Sound was the second fatality of the meeting on the turf course. Mayor Bozarth broke down in the third division of the July 18 Oceanside Stakes and had to be euthanized after suffering a condylar fracture of his left rear pastern.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby