The jockey took a moment to note the achievement with his fellow riders and clerk of scales Victor Sanchez in the Calder jockeys' room afterward.
Racing mid-pack in the $25,000 maiden claiming race for 2-year-olds contested in sloppy track conditions, Aguilar maneuvered B B's Concorde four wide on the turn for home and just got up at the wire. B and B Matz Racing Stable Inc. owns the gray colt by Concorde's Tune who is trained by Manny Tortora.
Aguilar, 33, is originally from Lima, Peru. After completing a two-year jockey school program in his country, he began his riding career in 1991, enjoying a successful career in Peru, where he won more than 900 races over eight years.
In 1999, he headed to New Jersey to ride at Meadowlands Racetrack and Monmouth Park. He also rode at the tracks in Maryland.
During his first year at Calder, 2001, he finished third in the summer meet standings and second in the Tropical standings. He has been among the top jockeys each season at Calder since.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Effort to Resolve VA Dates Fails Again
- New York Owner/Breeder Bomze Dies at 76
- That Handicapping Show: Rebel Stakes
- Maryland-Based Owner Heft Dies at 94
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19