Canterbury Park President Randy Sampson announced July 21 that the Canterbury Park Minnesota Fund has pledged $100,000 to the new University of Minnesota Equine Center.
The Brian Barenscheer Foundation has also pledged $850,000. Barenscheer served as a member of the Canterbury Park board of directors from 1995 until his death in 2004. The Curtis Sampson family also pledged $100,000. Sampson is the Canterbury Park chairman of the board.
University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks, along with Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine Dr. Trevor Ames, and Dr. Stephanie Valberg attended the check presentation ceremony.
The equine center, located on the St. Paul campus of the University of Minnesota, is scheduled to open in October 2007. Estimated cost of the new facility is $14 million, with more than one half of that amount already raised through charitable contributions. The equine center will focus on several key areas, including sports medicine, research, teaching, and community outreach.
Most Popular Stories
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Lexie Lou Heads Ontario Lassie
- Jed Doro, Nancy Ury Added to Oaklawn Staff
- Brisnet.com Ultimate Guide to Aqueduct Inner
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery