The Eddie Read is the first of seven grade I events set for the 43-day race meeting at the seaside track about 20 miles north of San Diego.
After Market collected both the Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) and the Charlie Whittingham Handicap (gr. IT), at Hollywood Park's spring/summer meet in his most recent starts for breeders/owners Pam and Martin Wygod and trainer John Shirreffs. Jockey Alex Solis retains the mount.
Valiant Effort is a speedy entrymate with After Market trained by Clifford Sise, Jr. After Market has been assigned top weight of 120, while Valiant Effort is scheduled to carry 110.
Stepping up to tackle After Market in the small field will be T N T Stud's Brazilian-bred Out of Control, who upset The Tin Man for trainer Bobby Frankel in the American Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood earlier this month. Fast and Furious, third in the same race, also returns in the Eddie Read.
Rob Roy makes his third start in the United States for trainer Neil Drysdale, while Atlando has been beaten in three consecutive tries since capturing the San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) Feb. 26, 2006.
$400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT, Race 3, 3 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Fast and Furious (FR), 115, Victor Espinoza
2. Out of Control (BRZ), 115, Michael C. Baze
3. Rob Roy (KY), 117, David R. Flores
4. Atlando (IRE), 114, Martin A. Pedroza
5. After Market (KY), 120, Alex O. Solis
6. Valiant Effort (CA), 110, Isaias D. Enriquez
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones