A native of Roseville, Ohio, Cowan went out a winner. Gemini's Revenge carried the familiar Cowan stable green and yellow silks to victory in Thursday's eighth race at Thistledown.
"I talked to him after the race and he was happy to hear the horse won," said his son, Gary, a trainer at Thistledown.
Cowan trained Thoroughbreds for nearly 60 years. He won three Thistledown conditioner's titles, the Summit meeting of 1972 and 1974, and the Randall meeting of 1968.
His finest moment as a trainer was his work with Crypto's Redjet, who won 17 of 39 races and $364,640 in five years of racing. By winning three stakes races in 1996, including the Best of Ohio Distaff, and five more added money scores the following season, the daughter of Cryptoclearance claimed back-to-back Ohio Horse of the Year titles.
Cowan also trained 1977 Ohio sophomore colt champion Bold Sailing.
Funeral arrangements are pending, but Cowan will be buried in Columbus. He is survived by sons Gary, Mark, and Terry.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap