On the 52nd day of Lone Star Park's 67-date spring Thoroughbred season, the powerful ownership team of Sandy and Jerry Heflin of Rockwall, Texas, and Ywachetta and James Driver of Irving, Texas, won two races Friday night to bring their season total to 28 -- a new single-season win record by an owner at the Grand Prairie racetrack.
The old mark of 27 was set by the Kagele Brothers in the spring of 2004.
Victories by East Texas Red ($13.80) in Friday night's second race and Wacos Cutie ($6.40) in the seventh brought Heflin & Driver Racing LLC's meeting earnings of $334,585 from 76 starters. They've also finished second 20 times (one shy of Turf Express Inc.'s 2002 mark) and third on eight occasions.
Both East Texas Red and Wacos Cutie are trained by Cody Autrey, the partnership's primary trainer. The couples also have horses with Dallas Keen. Once rivals on the racetrack, they merged into a 50-50 partnership earlier this year with a goal of becoming leading owners at Lone Star. The Heflins were Lone Star's top owners last year with 17 wins.
After the Lone Star meet, they plan to send their horses to Remington Park. A string of 15, mainly made up of their Churchill Downs-based horses, are to be sent to Del Mar in Southern California on July 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Concert Added to Black-Eyed Susan Day Lineup
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements