The 1 1/8-mile Vanity, to be contested on Cushion Track for the first time, attracted just four starters. Balance, with Victor Espinoza aboard, was assigned high weight of 122 pounds. She is the 2-1 third choice on the morning line.
The Vanity is one of three grade I stakes on the Hollywood program Saturday, including the $300,000 Triple Bend Invitational Handicap and the $750,000 American Oaks Invitational.
Owned by John Amerman, Balance was defeated by more than five lengths in the 1 1/16-mile Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II). That followed back-to-back victories for the David Hofmans trained daughter of Thunder Gulch in Santa Anita's La Canada (gr. II) Feb. 11 and Santa Margarita (gr. I) on March 10.
Warren Williamson's Nashoba's Key, conditioned by Carla Gaines, debuted this year as a 4-year-old. After beginning her career with turf wins at Santa Anita Jan. 13 and in a 1 1/8-mile allowance three weeks later, she also captured the Fran's Valentine for state breds before winning the Milady in her Cushion Track debut.
Hystericalady, runner-up in the Milady, won the Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs prior to that for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
Also entered is Ballado's Thunder, third-place finisher in the Hawthorne Handicap (gr. II) on May 6 prior to running fourth in the Milady.
$300,000 Vanity Invitational Handicap (gr. I, Race 3, 1 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Nashoba's Key (CA), Joseph Talamo, 118, 7/5
2. Balance (KY), Victor Espinoza, 122, 2/1
3. Ballado's Thunder (KY), Corey S. Nakatani, 115, 8/1
4. Hystericalady (KY), David R. Flores, 120, 8/5
Most Popular Stories
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Chasing Landaluce
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points