The 1 1/8-mile Vanity, to be contested on Cushion Track for the first time, attracted just four starters. Balance, with Victor Espinoza aboard, was assigned high weight of 122 pounds. She is the 2-1 third choice on the morning line.
The Vanity is one of three grade I stakes on the Hollywood program Saturday, including the $300,000 Triple Bend Invitational Handicap and the $750,000 American Oaks Invitational.
Owned by John Amerman, Balance was defeated by more than five lengths in the 1 1/16-mile Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II). That followed back-to-back victories for the David Hofmans trained daughter of Thunder Gulch in Santa Anita's La Canada (gr. II) Feb. 11 and Santa Margarita (gr. I) on March 10.
Warren Williamson's Nashoba's Key, conditioned by Carla Gaines, debuted this year as a 4-year-old. After beginning her career with turf wins at Santa Anita Jan. 13 and in a 1 1/8-mile allowance three weeks later, she also captured the Fran's Valentine for state breds before winning the Milady in her Cushion Track debut.
Hystericalady, runner-up in the Milady, won the Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs prior to that for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.
Also entered is Ballado's Thunder, third-place finisher in the Hawthorne Handicap (gr. II) on May 6 prior to running fourth in the Milady.
$300,000 Vanity Invitational Handicap (gr. I, Race 3, 1 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Nashoba's Key (CA), Joseph Talamo, 118, 7/5
2. Balance (KY), Victor Espinoza, 122, 2/1
3. Ballado's Thunder (KY), Corey S. Nakatani, 115, 8/1
4. Hystericalady (KY), David R. Flores, 120, 8/5
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches