$1 Million CashCall Mile Wide Open Affair
The field includes eight graded/ group race winners. The CashCall Mile is the richest race to be run on a night program at Hollywood Park.
Price Tag, an English-bred filly trained by Bobby Frankel for Juddmonte Farms, has the home-court advantage. She won The Matriarch (gr. IT) at one mile on the Hollywood turf last fall in her first North American start, scored in an allowance race at a mile at Santa Anita in March and then finished second to highly-regarded stablemate Citronnade at Hollywood in the Gamely Breeders’ Cup Stakes (gr. IT) at 1 1/8 miles on May 28. The 4-year-old is four-for-12 with earnings of $569,737.
Dancing Edie, fourth in the CashCall Mile for CashCall founder and race sponsor J. Paul Reddam a year ago, registered her biggest win in the 2006 John C. Mabee Handicap (gr. IT) at Del Mar. She was second to Wait a While in the Yellow Ribbon and eighth in the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT). She returned from a seven-month layoff to finish a good second to Somethinaboutlaura at one mile in the Redondo Beach on June 9. She has three wins, six seconds and two thirds in 17 starts for earnings of $633,595.
Three Japanese invaders also figure to get strong attention.
Dia de la Novia, a 5-year-old daughter of Sunday Silence, is the richest of the Japanese fillies with earnings of $2,380,954. A group II winner, she won at a mile three starts back in a group III event.
Kiss To Heaven, a 4-year-old with three wins and three seconds in 14 starts for earnings of $1,626,209, has won two of five starts at one mile. Her biggest win came a year ago in the Japanese One Thousand Guineas (Jpn-I).
Koiuta, also 4, won the Victoria Mile (Jpn-I) in her most recent start, finishing 1 3/4 lengths clear of Kiss to Heaven in fourth place and two lengths ahead of Dia de la Novia in sixth. She has five wins and two seconds in 16 starts for earnings of $2,002,101.
French-bred filly Lady of Venice won the Ouija Board Handicap (gr. IIIT)) at one mile May 28 at Lone Star Park and is perfect in two 2007 starts. The Patrick Biancone trainee is six-for-nine overall with earnings of $439,521.
Precious Kitten, also trained by Frankel, enters the CashCall Mile following a victory in the Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Pimlico on May 19. She has four wins and six seconds in 13 starts for earnings of $449,688.
South African-bred filly Alexandria Rose will make her first North American start in the CashCall Mile. The group II winner enters with four wins in ten starts for earnings of $102,183.
Arm Candy, trained by Ben Cecil, finished third in the Redondo Beach. She has a win and two thirds in three 2007 starts. She enters the race with earnings of $108,244.
The $150,000 A Gleam Handicap (gr. II) and the $100,000 Flawlessly Stakes will also be run on Friday night. The A Gleam, which runs as the seventh race, is at seven furlongs on Cushion Track for fillies and mares.
$1 Million CashCall Mile Invitational Stakes (gr. IIT, Race 5, 9:05 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Precious Kitten (KY), 121, Rafael Bejarano
2. Arm Candy (IRE), 119, Michael C. Baze
3. Wait a While (KY), 123, Garrett K. Gomez
4. Koiuta (JPN), 119, Hiroyuki Uchida
5. Dancing Edie (CA), 123, Corey S. Nakatani
6. Price Tag (GB), 123, Edgar S. Prado
7. Lady of Venice (FR), 119, Julien R. Leparoux
8. Alexandra Rose (SAF), 121, David R. Flores
9. Kiss to Heaven (JPN), 123, Victor Espinoza
10. Dia de la Novia (JPN), 121, Yasunari Iwata
$150,000 A Gleam Invitational Handicap (gr. II, Race 7, 10:05 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 3 & Up, 7 Furlongs (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Getback Time (CA), 118, Corey S. Nakatani
2. Pussycat Doll (KY), 124, Garrett K. Gomez
3. Strong Faith (KY), 114, Martin Garcia
4. River Savage (BRZ), 116, Omar A. Berrio
5. Dona Amelia (CHI), 115, Richard Migliore
6. Candy Jo (VA), 116, Clinton L. Potts
7. Clinet (IRE), 115, Alex O. Solis
8. Political Web (KY), 114, Martin A. Pedroza
9. Theverythoughtof U (KY), 112, Joseph Talamo
10. Somethinaboutlaura (CA), 122, Victor Espinoza
Copyright © 2014 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.