The $150,000 Jersey Shore Breeders’ Cup Stakes (gr. III), one of the few graded sprint events for 3-year-olds in the nation, drew a field of seven from across the United States to help Monmouth celebrate the Fourth of July Wednesday.
Charles Cono’s Principle Secret, a graded stakes winner as a 2-year-old last year, invades from California, and will likely be favored as he starts from the rail with leading rider Joe Bravo in the irons.
Trained by Christopher Paasch, the colt by Sea of Secrets was beaten just a neck in the Laz Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park last time out on May 20. Principle Secret had his final breeze for the Jersey Shore at Monmouth on Saturday morning, when he drilled a half-mile in :50 flat.
He arrived from California aboard the same flight as Pam and Martin Wygod’s Idiot Proof, who drew post 5 for the Jersey Shore. The Clifford Sise Jr.-trained colt won his last start, an allowance event at Hollywood Park on May 23. David Flores, his regular rider, comes in from California for the ride.
Spin Master, trained by Dale Romans, won his last start at Churchill Downs, a nearly three-length score in the Matt Winn Stakes. The Distorted Humor colt, owned by Eldon Farm Equine & John K. Luke, has won three of four lifetime starts. He goes from post 7 with Eddie Castro aboard.
Trainer Jamie Sanders sends in H. Gus King’s Sir Five Star in from New York. The Five Star Day colt was a stakes winner at Oaklawn Park this winter, and most recently finished fifth against older horses in the True North Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont. Stewart Elliott rides from post 2.
Cherokee Country, West Coast Flier and Southwestern Heat finished one-two-three, in that order, in the Rumson Stakes at Monmouth on June 10.
$150,000 Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III, Race 9, 4:53 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 6 Furlongs
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Principle Secret (KY), Joe Bravo, 119, 9/5
2. Sir Five Star (KY), Stewart Elliott, 119, 15/1
3. West Coast Flier (FL), Charles C. Lopez, 121, 8/1
4. Southwestern Heat (KY), Eric Camacho, 117, 10/1
5. Idiot Proof (CA), David R. Flores, 119, 3/1
6. Cherokee Country (KY), Jose Lezcano, 119, 6/1
7. Spin Master (KY), Eddie Castro, 123, 2/1
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014