The Claiming Crown received a total of 65 late nominations to bring the total to 357 nominations. It is the most nominations the Claiming Crown has ever received.
Notable nominations include Sunshine Millions Distaff Sprint winner Shaggy Mane and Private Scandal, winner of the 2006 Maryland Million Turf. Me My Mine, last year’s winner of the Claiming Crown Jewel, is also among the nominees.
General Charley and Lookinforthesecret, both of whom have competed in stakes this season at Canterbury Park, have also been nominated. Golden Hare, claimed for $3,500, ranks as a standout among the frequent winners, having won 10 of his last 11 starts.
Kentucky horsemen are showing their support for the first Kentucky hosting of the Claiming Crown.
"I have not actually counted them, but I would estimate that approximately half the nominees hail from the barns of Kentucky-based owners and trainers," said Nat Wess, Claiming Crown coordinator.
The final opportunity for horses to become eligible is Friday, July 20, when supplementary nominations can be made for 5% of the purse.
The Claiming Crown consists of seven races for $600,000 in purses for horses that have started at least once since Aug. 1, 2006 for claiming prices ranging from $7,500 or less to $35,000.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice