Lava Man, who can match legendary Native Diver with a third consecutive victory in the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap (gr. I) June 30, has been assigned high weight of 124 pounds for the 1 1/4-mile classic.
Lava Man, owned by STD Racing and Jason Wood, will be conceding four pounds to primary rival Molengao (120) and as many as 12 pounds if Mr. Spash (112), Profido (112) or Uffizi (112) start in the Gold Cup.
The 68th running of the Gold Cup is scheduled for the 10th race at 4:43 p.m. on Saturday’s 11-race program at Hollywood Park. Weights follow:
Lava Man 124
My Creed 117
A.P. Arrow 116
A.P. Xcellent 115
Saint Stephen 115
Big Booster 113
Mr. Splash 112
A.P. Xcellent worked six furlongs in 1:17 2/5 Sunday in his final drill for the Gold Cup.
“He’s a little lazy in the morning,” said trainer John Shirreffs after the 4-year-old colt’s drill under exercise rider Frankie Herarte in company with Bullistic.
A.P. Xcellent has won three of four starts on Hollywood's Cushion Track. He finished third in the Californian (gr. II) in his last start on June 2.
Saint Stephen and Porfido are considered possible. Porfido worked six furlongs in 1:16 2/5 for trainer Bobby Frankel.
Wilko worked six furlongs in 1:14 3/5 Saturday for trainer Craig Dollase.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale