The lightly-raced 6-year-old chestnut horse, who has been plagued by injuries throughout his career, just got up to nail Takeover Target by a head at the wire. Asset was another half-length back in third.
Takeover Target, who had finished fourth in the King’s Stand Stakes (Eng-II) on opening day, was prominent throughout and gamely repelled all challengers until being overtaken by Soldier’s Tale at the wire.
Soldier’s Tale responded well to wearing a visor for the first time. The son of Stravinsky raced up from mid-division under Johnny Murtagh and dug in determinedly under the jockey’s strong urging to capture the biggest victory of his career. Owner Budget Stables bred Soldier's Tale in the United States.
The big disappointment of the race was the poor finish of Miss Andretti, who had set a new course record when winning the King’s Stand on Tuesday. She had never had such a quick turn around between races, though, and all the rain in the days since didn’t help matters any. The classy mare lost nothing in defeat, and may make a reappearance in the Darley July Cup Stakes (Eng-I) at Newmarket.
Trainer Jeremy Noseda was ecstatic after the race. He told the press, “I think it might be my best day. It is a very special day in my life and I see this horse as a special friend; I just adore him.
Noseda continued, “He’s been a horse with countless problems and we’ve got him back for this. He’s such a tough horse and a brave horse. He deserves it. He’s had countless fractures, colic surgery and pieces of his stomach removed. He has to have a special diet as he finds it hard to digest. He’s a fighter as he’s been at the point of having to be put down twice.”
“He’s my favorite horse in the yard, and I love him to bits.”
Most Popular Stories
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases