The field for the Prince of Wales may have been small, but it was very select. Five out of the six runners were group I winners. Pressing, who had yet to win at the group I level, had most recently finished second to Distant Way in the Premio Presidente della Repubblica (Ity-I).
Martin Dwyer, who was aboard 2006 Vodafone Derby (Eng-I) champion Sir Percy, pushed his charge to the front immediately from the starting gate. The pair led the field at a steady clip for the first mile of the ten-furlong contest. Manduro and Dylan Thomas were each making steady progress toward the front, and the duo collared Sir Percy with two furlongs left.
Manduro, under jockey Stephane Pasquier, got the jump on Dylan Thomas and jockey Christophe Soumillion, and they took command with just over two furlongs left. Dylan Thomas dug in and fought back, but couldn't get by the German colt.
Manduro won comfortably by 1 1/4 lengths over Dylan Thomas. Notnowcato, who had previously defeated Dylan Thomas in the Tattersalls Gold Cup (Ire-I), was third, another four lengths further back.
John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. I) winner, Red Rocks, was never a factor and finished a well beaten fourth.
Time for the ten furlongs over the good to firm turf was 2:05.91.
Manduro is now undefeated in the four times Pasquier has ridden him.
Winning owner Baron Georg Von Ullman said afterwards, “It is amazing, we've been here a few times but a winner had never come our way. It's a dream.”
Trainer Andre Fabre mentioned that likely objectives for the 5-year-old son of Monsun would be the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes (Eng-I) on July 28 and the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) on October 7.
Most Popular Stories
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases