Matz, who saddled Lael Stable’s Barbaro to win the 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), thinks that the son of Cherokee Run will emerge as one of America’s outstanding 3-year-olds by the end of the season.
“He’s yet to prove it, but if he keeps improving the way he does he could be that type of horse,” said Matz. “He’s been very consistent and I think he’ll try whatever he can do. Whether it’s good enough, we’ll have to find out.”
Ramon Dominguez rides Chelokee, who will carry 120 pounds and break from post seven as the 2-1 morning line favorite.
Chelokee faces a field that includes a pair of horses that competed in the Kentucky Derby. Starlight Stable and Donald Lucarelli’s Sam P. (3-1) finished ninth in the “Run for the Roses” for trainer Todd Pletcher, while Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC’s Zanjero (4-1) checked in 12th for trainer Steve Asmussen.
Another major contender is Patricia Blass’ Prom Shoes, a son of Include who finished a nose behind Sightseeing in the Peter Pan (gr. II) at Belmont Park. The William “Jinks” Fires trainee had finished a troubled fourth in his previous outing on the Derby trail.
$200,000 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III, Race 7, 4:17 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Loose Leaf (KY), Robby Albarado, 116, 8/1
2. Zanjero (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 116, 4/1
3. Portobello Road (KY), Calvin H. Bore, 15/1l
4. Prom Shoes (KY), Edgar S. Prado, 116, 5/2
5. True Competitor (KY), Rafael Bejarano, 116, 12/1
6. Tsali (KY), Corey S. Nakatani, 116, 20/1
7. Chelokee (KY), Ramon A. Dominguez, 120, 2/1
8. Sam P. (KY), John R. Velazquez, 116, 3/1
Most Popular Stories
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge