Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IT) winner Boboman, a disappointing fourth in the Californian (gr. II) in his last start June 2, came out of the race with an ankle injury and will undergo surgery this week, trainer Richard Mandella confirmed Wednesday.
"He will have a chip taken out here in a few days,” said Mandella. “We found it last weekend.”
Mandella estimated the 6-year-old horse would be sidelined for several months.
Boboman, a Wertheimer and Frere homebred by Kingmambo, has won four of 14 starts and earned more than $400,000. He finished third in both the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) and Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) this year.
Ainamaa, scratched from the Honeymoon Breeders’ Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) Saturday because of an ankle injury, also will undergo surgery for removal of a chip, according to trainer Ben Cecil.
“Dr. Ted Simpson and Dr. Joe Dowd will take a small chip out of her right front ankle today,” said Cecil.
Ainamaa, a 3-year-old daughter of Lemon Drop Kid , won her last two starts on turf impressively.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA