The idea was put forward by last year’s Derby-winning rider Martin Dwyer, the father of two small children himself, who partners the well-fancied Regime in this year’s Classic showpiece.
Four-year-old Madeleine was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, in Portugal’s Algarve, on May 3, just yards from where her parents were eating dinner with friends.
Dwyer said: "There are people all over the globe watching the Derby, and we owe it to this little girl to do what we can to help find her, and to deter anyone from doing anything like this in the future."
"Madeleine’s parents have decided they want as much publicity as they can to help find her, and I feel we should lend our support to that. What has happened to Madeleine must be every parent’s worst nightmare."
Gerry and Kate McCann are conducting a massive media campaign in an effort to try and locate their daughter, and met with Pope Benedict in Rome on May 30. The Pope blessed a photograph of Madeleine as part of a European-wide trip to publicize their plight.
A fund set up to help with the search has so far raised over £370,000. Celebrities including England and LA Galaxy soccer star David Beckham and Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for Manchester United, have made appeals on behalf of Madeleine.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online