Saskawea Seeks Hat Trick in Woodbine's Selene
Beclawat Stable’s Saskawea will be seeking her third consecutive win when she takes on 11 rivals in Sunday’s $250,000 Selene Stakes (Can-III) for 3-year-old fillies at Woodbine.
The chestnut daughter of Stormy Atlantic is riding the wave of back-to-back wins, including a recent score in the Fury Stakes on May 6. Saskawea goes for her fourth-career triumph while going a route distance in the 1 1/16-mile Selene.
“The Fury win was her most impressive by far,” said conditioner Steve Attard, of the 2 3/4-length tally in the seven-furlong event. “She was in against horses that already had a race under their belts, but I think she still had a lot left in her.”
The only surprise for Attard was on the tote board, as Saskawea was dismissed at 11-1. “I couldn’t believe it. She’s never finished worse than second. I look at it this way: I was 11-1, not my horse.”
The lifetime winner of three races and three runner-up efforts from six career starts will face Palace Pier, who finished third to Saskawea in the Fury, Star Shoot Stakes runner-up Silky Smooth and Sam-Son Farm’s Forever Red. A field of 12 is entered.
Attard believes his filly, who broke her maiden with a neck victory at six furlongs on Oct. 7, will be up for the challenge.
“She came out of her last race so well. She’s been training great. It’s going to be a tough race, but hopefully, she can come up big again. Justin Stein rides a very smart race. They suit each other.”
If all goes to plan, Saskawea’s next test could come in the 52nd running of the Labatt Woodbine Oaks on June 10, the premier event for Canadian-foaled sophomore fillies.
“That’s the goal,” said Attard. “We liked her right from the start. We knew she was special. She’s a real sweetheart, too. She’s gorgeous and very kind-hearted. As a two-year-old, she was very eager. She’s so easy to work with now.”
$250,000 Selene Stakes (Can-III, Race 8, 4:27 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Silky Smooth (KY), Patrick Husbands, 116, 8/1
2. Bear Now (KY), Emile Ramsammy, 116, 15/1
3. Calendar Girl (KY), Quincy Welch, 116, 10/1
4. Palace Pier (ON), Todd Kabel, 120, 3/1
5. Name in Lights (KY), Eurico Rosa Da Silva, 116, 15/1
6. Marietta (KY), Fernando Jara, 116, 6/1
7. Bear Bullet Too (KY), Corey Fraser, 116, 15/1
8. My List (KY), David Clark, 116, 12/1
9. Saskawea (ON), Justin Stein, 118, 4/1
10. Dance to My Tune (ON), Constant Montpellier, 116, 15/1
11. Chelsey Cry (KY), Michelle Rainford, 116, 20/1
12. Forever Red (ON), Emma-Jayne Wilson, 116, 12/1
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.