Sprint champion Thor’s Echo, a California-bred 5-year-old gelding who captured the TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) last year, has been returned to the Doug O’Neill stable at Hollywood Park after a disappointing winter in Dubai.
Purchased privately last winter by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Thor’s Echo was shipped to Dubai and transferred to trainer Seemar Satish. He finished sixth twice in six-furlong stakes in March, in the Mahab Al Shimaal and Dubai Golden Shaheen Stakes (UAE-I) at Nad Al Sheba.
Thor’s Echo returned to his old stall in the O’Neill stable late Wednesday night after a trip from the Mideast by way of New York. He was reunited with groom Alfonso Padilla, who also groomed 2005 2-year-old champion Stevie Wonderboy.
“He’s a little thin but he’s very enthusiastic to be back,” said O’Neill. “Steve Warner (his co-breeder and a track feedman) has been giving him more love than you could imagine.”
O’Neill estimated that the chestnut son of Swiss Yodeler is about two months away from a race. He said he will be pointed to a defense of his Breeders’ Cup Sprint crown at Monmouth Park in October. Thor’s Echo has earned $2,416,990.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29