Teuflesberg will not run in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 19, trainer and co-owner Jamie Sanders announced Saturday afternoon.
The son of Johannesburg, 17th in last weekend’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), was originally scheduled to leave Kentucky Sunday for Pimlico.
“We need to do what is right for the horse,” said Sanders. “He has given us everything leading up to this spot, including the Derby. It was a tough decision, but it is a long campaign and we have a lot of races in store for him.”
Teuflesberg has raced 16 times in his career with four victories, including the $250,000 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park in February.
The defection leaves the Preakness with seven confirmed starters. The connections of two other horses are still considering the middle jewel of racing’s Triple Crown.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale