Teuflesberg will not run in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) May 19, trainer and co-owner Jamie Sanders announced Saturday afternoon.
The son of Johannesburg, 17th in last weekend’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), was originally scheduled to leave Kentucky Sunday for Pimlico.
“We need to do what is right for the horse,” said Sanders. “He has given us everything leading up to this spot, including the Derby. It was a tough decision, but it is a long campaign and we have a lot of races in store for him.”
Teuflesberg has raced 16 times in his career with four victories, including the $250,000 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park in February.
The defection leaves the Preakness with seven confirmed starters. The connections of two other horses are still considering the middle jewel of racing’s Triple Crown.
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29