Sailors Sunset hit the wire in 1:07.79 going six panels on Hollywood's all-weather surface with a 1 3/4-length wire-to-wire victory under Jon Court in the Vernon Underwood Stakes (gr. III) previously. Court has the mount once again Saturday.
"He's training as good as before the Underwood," said Polanco Thursday from his Santa Anita base. "I've been pointing to this race for a long time. He's an easy horse to train but he doesn't need to be on the lead. In the Phoenix Gold Cup, he broke sideways and finished strongly from behind."
Sailors Sunset finished second in that race in February and returned to run third in the Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Santa Anita on April 7. The Everest Stables homebred has won five of 16 starts and earned $244,610.
A field of six takes up the challenge in the Los Angeles Handicap.
$100,000 Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III, Race 4, 2:50 p.m.), 3 & Up, 6 Furlongs (All-Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Corazondelcampeon (FL), 116, Martin A. Pedroza
2. Peace Chant (KY), 114, Victor Espinoza
3. Northern Soldier (KY), 114, Clinton L. Potts
4. Sailors Sunset (KY), 116, Jon K. Court
5. Turnbolt (VA), 114, Corey S. Nakatani
6. Ramsgate (KY), 116, David R. Flores
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Fair Grounds Hall of Fame Inducts Proud Spell
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct