Ridden by Kevin Manning, the Irish-bred chestnut by Mr. Greeley grabbed the lead two furlongs out and was not threatened by any of her 20 rivals. Simply Perfect was third in the one-mile race for 3-year-old fillies. Her time was an outstanding 1:34.94 on the straight over a course rated good to firm.
“That was fantastic,” owner Michael Ryan told Racing Post. “We have a super filly and a super trainer. We'll drink every pub dry of Guinness between here and Stansted Airport tonight!“
Manning was able to find a handy tracking position behind Scarlet Runner, who had taken over the lead from Fantasy Parkes after a half-mile. Finsceal Beo glided up to second with three furlongs to go and took the lead a quarter-mile from the wire, driving clear from there. Arch Swing, who was in contention until the final eighth, finished 1 1/4 lengths in front of Simply Perfect, with Treat fourth.
Finsceal Beo, which means "Living Legend" in Irish, will be returned to her native country to be prepared for the Irish One Thousand (Ire-I) and then Royal Ascot's Coronation Stakes (Eng-I), Bolger said.
"I wouldn't argue with whoever said she was awesome," Bolger told Racing Post. "This is a brilliant filly. The traumatic week (with the scratch of Teofilo) is history at this stage. This is the day. We've gotten over it and we're getting on with it.
“We had hoped that we would win, and she did it in fine style," he added. "I don't think it was ever in any doubt. There is great satisfaction in bringing a filly here and winning a race of that caliber. I only had a few each-way chances at best in the Guineas before and this was the first I've had with a real chance."
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Lexie Lou Heads Ontario Lassie
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Jed Doro, Nancy Ury Added to Oaklawn Staff
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity
- Brisnet.com Ultimate Guide to Aqueduct Inner
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners