Ridden by Eddie Castro for trainer Michael Trombetta, the 6-year-old Safely's Mark horse won for the first time in four starts this year and edged ever closer to the $1 million mark in career earnings. A winner of 13 of 39 lifetime starts, Florida-bred Weigelia earned $54,500 Saturday to run his overall bankroll to $974,580. The Calder specialist boasts an 8-2-2 record in 17 outings on the South Florida oval.
Weigelia set solid fractions of :21 4/5 and :45 en route to a final clocking of 1:11. Gower, ridden by Carlos Olivero, got up for second after a ground-saving trip, a nose ahead of Finallymadeit and Eduardo Nunez. Mach Ride, the 3-1 favorite in the field of 12, finished fourth.
Sent off as the third choice, Weigelia paid $9, $6.20 and $4. Gower returned $29.20 and $21.20. Finallymadeit was $13.40 to show.
Nightmare Affair and Quereall scratched.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award