Ridden by Eddie Castro for trainer Michael Trombetta, the 6-year-old Safely's Mark horse won for the first time in four starts this year and edged ever closer to the $1 million mark in career earnings. A winner of 13 of 39 lifetime starts, Florida-bred Weigelia earned $54,500 Saturday to run his overall bankroll to $974,580. The Calder specialist boasts an 8-2-2 record in 17 outings on the South Florida oval.
Weigelia set solid fractions of :21 4/5 and :45 en route to a final clocking of 1:11. Gower, ridden by Carlos Olivero, got up for second after a ground-saving trip, a nose ahead of Finallymadeit and Eduardo Nunez. Mach Ride, the 3-1 favorite in the field of 12, finished fourth.
Sent off as the third choice, Weigelia paid $9, $6.20 and $4. Gower returned $29.20 and $21.20. Finallymadeit was $13.40 to show.
Nightmare Affair and Quereall scratched.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail