Kicking off Churchill Down's spring meet a week before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) is the April 28 Derby Trial Stakes, where a full field of 14 3-year-old males will contend for the title of the $100,000 race.
Heading the field with a score in the Feb. 19 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park under his girth is Teuflesberg, who currently ranks 21st in graded stakes earnings on the list of Kentucky Derby hopefuls. The May 5 Derby is limited to 20 based on graded earnings.
A son of Johannesburg, Teuflesberg is trained by Jamie Sanders, who also owns the colt in partnership with Gary Logsdon and Donnie Kelly. Winning four of 15 starts, including the Sugar Bowl Stakes as a 2-year-old, Teuflesberg has earned $385,431.
Another starter to watch for in the Derby Trial is California invader Bwana Bull, who will be looking for his first win outside the Golden State. Though the son of Holy Bull will enter the race off an unplaced effort in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), he kicked off his 2007 campaign with two consecutive black-type victories. First taking the California Derby at Golden Gate, Bwana Bull next scored in the El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Bay Meadows, which marked the richest win of his nine-start career. Owned by Mark DeDomenico, Dan Jelladian, and Jerry Todaro, and trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, he has earned $259,962.
The Derby Trial would be the perfect opportunity for Lucky Seven Stable's U D Ghetto to make a comeback after a series of four off-the-board finishes. Trained by Anthony Reinstedler, the son of Honour and Glory showed promise in winning the 2006 Kentucky Cup Juvenile Stakes (gr. III) at Turfway Park, but then missed in his next four starts, including a disappointing seventh in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I).
Also sure to be competitive are other previous stakes victors Carnacks Choice, Out of Gwedda, Awesome Hero, and Barkley Sound.
Rounding out the field are graded stakes-placed runners Izzie's Halo, Bold Start, and Wafi City; and winners Ceasers March, Danny Sez, and Prom Shoes.
Derby Trial Stakes, $100,000, Churchill Downs, April 28, 3-year-olds, 7 1/2 furlongs, approx. post 5:16 p.m. EDT
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey, ML Odds
1. Bwana Bull, 123, Mark Guidry, 9-2
2. U D Ghetto, 123, Calivin Borel, 20-1
3. Flying First Class, 117, Larry Melancon, 12-1
4. Awesome Hero, 121, Miguel Mena, 20-1
5. Teuflesberg, 123, Jesus Lopez Castanon, 8-1
6. Izzie's Halo, 117, Shaun Bridgmohan, 8-1
7. Bold Start, 117, Robby Albarado, 3-1
8. Ceasers March, 117, Jamie Theriot, 15-1
9. Danny Sez, 117, Orlando Mojica, 30-1
10. Barkley Sound, 121, Corey Lanerie, 30-1
11. Carnacks Choice, 123, Julien Leparoux, 6-1
12. Wafi City, 117, Fernando Jara, 8-1
13. Out of Gwedda, 123, John Velazquez, 5-1
14. Prom Shoes, 117, Corey Nakatani, 15-1