Trainer Todd Pletcher worked top 3-year-olds Circular Quay and Rags to Riches in company early Sunday at Keeneland, each going six furlongs in 1:13 2/5.
Clockers caught the pair getting the final five-eighths of the work in :22 3/5, :36 1/5, :47 3/5, :58 4/5. Those two were the only horses to work six furlongs on Sunday.
“I’m very pleased, both horses were well in hand,” said Pletcher afterward. “Both Circular Quay and Rags to Riches spent a good part of the winter at Hollywood Park training over the synthetic track, so they’re familiar with the surface.”
Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Circular Quay, owned by Michael and Doreen Tabor, is one of several Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) hopefuls Pletcher has stabled at Keeneland. Others include Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Scat Daddy, Illinois Derby (gr. II) winner Cowtown Cat and Any Given Saturday, third in the Wood Memorial (gr. I).
Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor’s filly Rags to Riches, winner of the Las Virgenes (gr. I) and Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I), is the early favorite for the May 4 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered