Trainer Todd Pletcher worked top 3-year-olds Circular Quay and Rags to Riches in company early Sunday at Keeneland, each going six furlongs in 1:13 2/5.
Clockers caught the pair getting the final five-eighths of the work in :22 3/5, :36 1/5, :47 3/5, :58 4/5. Those two were the only horses to work six furlongs on Sunday.
“I’m very pleased, both horses were well in hand,” said Pletcher afterward. “Both Circular Quay and Rags to Riches spent a good part of the winter at Hollywood Park training over the synthetic track, so they’re familiar with the surface.”
Louisiana Derby (gr. II) winner Circular Quay, owned by Michael and Doreen Tabor, is one of several Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) hopefuls Pletcher has stabled at Keeneland. Others include Florida Derby (gr. I) winner Scat Daddy, Illinois Derby (gr. II) winner Cowtown Cat and Any Given Saturday, third in the Wood Memorial (gr. I).
Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor’s filly Rags to Riches, winner of the Las Virgenes (gr. I) and Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I), is the early favorite for the May 4 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award