The previously undefeated 4-year-old colt underwent a complete veterinary check at Al Quoz Stables Sunday morning, the Godolphin Web site reported.
The procedure included an endoscopic examination of his respiratory tract which, the Web site reported, "revealed an obstructive granulomatous mass" within his throat, in addition to significant swelling of the underlying throat wall as a result of an infection.
"In the opinion of the Godolphin veterinary surgeons, this would have affected his performance, firstly by physically obstructing the airflow into his throat and lungs, and secondly by causing him significant discomfort," the report said. "He is now undergoing appropriate treatment and assessments."
According to the Web site, Discreet Cat had a routine endoscopic examination performed of his respiratory airways earlier in the week, and no abnormalities were found.
Discreet Cat won the first six races of his career but was never a factor in the World Cup, which was won by Invasor.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online