Calder Race Course unveiled the track’s new stakes and receiving barn March 26, offering a glimpse of the new headquarters for horses shipping in to the Miami Gardens, Fla., facility, to compete. Calder’s 2007 season begins on April 25.
Steve Cross, Calder’s director of racing surfaces and stable superintendent made the presentation of barn number 70, located just off the horse path leading to the main track. It has undergone a complete renovation by Cross’ team, headed by Milton Figueroa and his crew and Milo and Heather Rosario. The barn will be used exclusively for horses shipping in to race at Calder.
The 36 stalls in the barn have brand new mats, the newly tiled bathroom includes a shower and washing machine. Nine tack rooms provide plenty of storage space and there’s even a TV room with refrigerator. There are picnic tables and fresh landscaping around the barn area
“We wanted to create a single barn for receiving the ship-ins and all the stakes horses and we wanted to make it extra special,” said Cross. “For our big events each year, such as the Summit of Speed, we have anywhere from 20 to 30 horses shipping in, so now they have one place to go and it’s a very nice place to stay.”
Cross and his crew also updated the plumbing fixtures all around the barn, coated the stable with fresh paint and installed hanging ferns along the shedrows. Lush green sod has already taken root around the barn, which is decorated with flower beds, red mulch lining and white stones.
Calder is gearing up for its 37th racing season. The 112-day Calder meet will run through Oct. 14. The 60-day Tropical at Calder meet follows immediately from Oct. 15 to Jan. 2, 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog