Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) winner Rags to Riches, who would have been only the fourth filly to start in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) in 70 runnings, will instead go “straight to the Kentucky Oaks,” trainer Todd Pletcher said Sunday morning.
The Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) is May 4 at Churchill Downs.
“She worked a half-mile today at Hollywood in :50 4/5,” Pletcher said by phone from Florida. “She went well and we’re happy with her. We thought about the Santa Anita Derby a lot, but after discussing it with (bloodstock agent) Demi O’Byrne and (part owner) Michael Tabor, we decided on the Oaks.
"She’s a special filly but she’s light on seasoning (four races) and there are a lot of important races down the road. She could compete against the boys at some point, but there’s no reason to rush her.”
A daughter of A.P. Indy out of the Deputy Minister mare Better Than Honour, Rags to Riches has won three consecutive races in 2007 after finishing third in her debut at Churchill Downs in June. She has banked $360,100.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes