Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I) winner Rags to Riches, who would have been only the fourth filly to start in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) in 70 runnings, will instead go “straight to the Kentucky Oaks,” trainer Todd Pletcher said Sunday morning.
The Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) is May 4 at Churchill Downs.
“She worked a half-mile today at Hollywood in :50 4/5,” Pletcher said by phone from Florida. “She went well and we’re happy with her. We thought about the Santa Anita Derby a lot, but after discussing it with (bloodstock agent) Demi O’Byrne and (part owner) Michael Tabor, we decided on the Oaks.
"She’s a special filly but she’s light on seasoning (four races) and there are a lot of important races down the road. She could compete against the boys at some point, but there’s no reason to rush her.”
A daughter of A.P. Indy out of the Deputy Minister mare Better Than Honour, Rags to Riches has won three consecutive races in 2007 after finishing third in her debut at Churchill Downs in June. She has banked $360,100.
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity