With a case to be made for most of the 10 colts or geldings entered in Saturday's $100,000 Private Terms Stakes for 3-year-olds at Laurel Park, it won't be easy for fans to separate the field for the one-mile test.
Not For Money emerged as the 5-2 morning line favorite. The Richard Dutrow-trained Not For Love colt has started twice, with a maiden victory and a troubled second at Aqueduct. Dutrow will send Rudy Rodriguez from New York to ride Not For Money.
Trainer Richard Small will counter with rapidly developing Etude (3-1), a grey/roan son of Include who has finished first or second in all five starts. After breaking slowly and racing wide his first three outings, Etude broke with the leaders and won his next two starts by open lengths while carrying Luis Garcia. The two will team up again on Saturday.
“He was still a little green in his first three starts, but he’s matured very nicely since then,” Small said. “It wasn’t really the switch from the other rider to this one (Jozbin Santana to Garcia). I think it’s the maturity and he’s doing really well right now.”
Saratoga Lulaby (4-1) breaks from the outside post with jockey Dyn Panell for trainer John Rigattieri. The Kentucky-bred son of Brahms had three nice starts at Laurel Park, including a second place finish in the Miracle Wood before finishing a wide fifth in the Horatius Stakes. Rigattieri has since worked the colt, sending him out to post a bullet drill at five panels on March 15.
Ramon Preciado haltered four-time winner Cherokee Country (9-2) at Philadelphia Park. After he beat maiden claimers he has sent him out to win three of four races, including a victory over optional/allowance runners at Aqueduct on March 14. Angel Rodriguez retains the mount.
$100,000 Private Terms Stakes (Race 9, 4:40 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 Mile
PP. Horse, Jockey, ML Odds
1. Brass Run (NJ), Roberto Alvarado, Jr., 12/1
2. Not for Money (PA), Rudy R. Rodriguez, 5/2
3. Belly Rub (NY), Jose C. Caraballo, 12/1
4. My Three Boys (PA), no rider, 20/1
5. Etude (MD), Luis Garcia, 116, 3/1
6. West Coast Flier (FL), Jorge I. Duarte, Jr., 20/1
7. Another Vow (FL), Katie Lee, 10/1
8. Cherokee Country (KY), Angel Rodriguez, 9/2
9. Johnny Z. (KY), Jeremy Rose, 15/1
10. Saratoga Lulaby (KY), Dyn Panell, 4/1
Each assigned 116 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- New Buyers Drive Up Sales at Arqana
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- DiEmanuele Named to Woodbine's Board
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity