Connections of American star Premium Tap gave the “thumbs up” following his final major workout before the US$6 million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) on March 31.
Trainer John Kimmel and jockey Kent Desormeaux flew from America to Saudi Arabia to participate in the work, and both concluded that the 5-year-old multiple grade I winner is ready for the richest race on the globe.
“All thumbs were up,” Kimmel said from Saudi Arabia after Premium Tap breezed about 1,200 meters with Desormeaux in the irons. “He worked very well and everything seems to be on target.”
Kimmel noted it is difficult to obtain perfectly correlated times to American distances since the track at King Abdul Aziz Racecourse in Janadriyah is marked in meters, but estimated that the horse worked about six furlongs (1,200 meters) in about 1:15.
The occasion marked the first time Kimmel had seen Premium Tap since he left the horse in the care of his assistant, Loretta Lusteg, following a victory in the 2,400-meter Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cup on Feb. 16.
“He looks good, his weight is great and his soundness is very good,” Kimmel reported.
Winner of seven of his 18 career starts, including the Woodward Stakes (gr. I) and the Clark Handicap (gr. I) last year, Premium Tap will run in the colors of his owners, the sons of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz.
He is scheduled to be shipped to Dubai around March 28. Kimmel said Premium Tap would just gallop and possibly visit the starting gate prior to the US$6 million race.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29