“They're both doing well,” Baffert said at Santa Anita Thursday morning while watching Midnight Lute gallop in the fog. Also on Thursday morning, Pussycat Doll worked a half-mile in :46 at Santa Anita.
Pussycat Doll, owned by Michael Pegram, who also campaigned Real Quiet, captured the Jan. 28 Santa Monica Handicap at Santa Anita in her first race back since winning the 2006 Humana Distaff. Baffert had decided to freshen her after the Churchill race, and she returned to defeat Nossa Cancao by four lengths in the seven-furlong Santa Monica. The $300,000 Humana Distaff is also seven furlongs and will be run the day of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Midnight Lute won the Perryville last fall at Keeneland and then competed in all three legs of Santa Anita's Strub Series, finishing third in the seven-furlong Malibu (gr. I), second in the 1 1/16-mile San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II), and fourth in the 1 1/8-mile Strub (gr. II). Baffert plans to shorten him back up for the $750,000 Commonwealth, to be run over seven furlongs. Pegram owns Midnight Lute in partnership with Watson and Weitman Performances LLC.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale