For the second time this season, Oaklawn Park has increased all overnight purses by $1,000. The latest purse increase, which will take effect with races carded for March 14, will bring the total increase in purses this year at Oaklawn to more than $1 million.
In early February, Oaklawn officials redistributed purses earmarked for four canceled days of racing (Feb. 1-4).
"By the season's end, we'll have increased our purses by $1 million. And we're within striking distance of setting all time records for total purse distribution and average daily purse distribution," said Pat Pope, Oaklawn's racing secretary said. "We're positioned perfectly for a very strong final half of the season."
Oaklawn's 2007 live racing season runs through April 14 when the $1,000,000 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) is offered as the final event of the "Racing Festival of the South," which begins April 6.
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana