For the second time this season, Oaklawn Park has increased all overnight purses by $1,000. The latest purse increase, which will take effect with races carded for March 14, will bring the total increase in purses this year at Oaklawn to more than $1 million.
In early February, Oaklawn officials redistributed purses earmarked for four canceled days of racing (Feb. 1-4).
"By the season's end, we'll have increased our purses by $1 million. And we're within striking distance of setting all time records for total purse distribution and average daily purse distribution," said Pat Pope, Oaklawn's racing secretary said. "We're positioned perfectly for a very strong final half of the season."
Oaklawn's 2007 live racing season runs through April 14 when the $1,000,000 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) is offered as the final event of the "Racing Festival of the South," which begins April 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu Stakes
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Eluisve Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double