The 2-year-olds will sell first, beginning at 1 p.m. eastern time. A preview show of the youngsters will be held March 17. The older horses will follow.
The size of the catalog is an increase of 40% from a year ago.
The sale offers a pair of $100,000 races restricted to 2-year-olds who pass through the sale ring. Last year’s races were won by Miss Atlantic City (by Stormy Atlantic ) and Tortuga Straits (by Gold Tribute), both of whom are now multiple stakes winners. Miss Atlantic City was a $5,000 RNA by consignor J. Keith Desormeaux while John Balensiefen signed the sale ticket on Tortuga Straits for $21,000 while also having consigned her.
“We have 2-year-olds from outstanding and commercial sires such as Forestry and El Prado, who each command a stud fee of $125,000, plus Malibu Moon ($40,000) and Tiznow ($25,000)," said Charlotte Stemmans Clavier, president of Stemmans, which is the administrator for the sale.
The 2006 sale, the second held at a new facility, featured gains in both average and total horses sold despite inclement weather. The sale topper was Manhattan Model. Southern Equine Stables consigned the daughter of Smoke Glacken who was purchased by Eric Guillot for $105,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity