Hollywood Park became the first California track to install a synthetic surface, introducing Cushion Track prior to the 2006 autumn meet. Stalls have been at a premium ever since.
“Stall applications will be heavily scrutinized,” said Martin Panza, vice president of racing. “Stalls will be given to stables with horses currently running or ready to run very quickly – stables with equal amounts of winners compared to maidens.
“We are the only track open with a synthetic surface and everyone can’t be stabled here,” Panza added. “We’ve run stats on 2-year-olds. We are looking for people that have been running at Hollywood Park early and look like they are coming in ready to run. Preference will be given to stables that run early (April) and into the summer (July).”
Panza stressed the importance of meeting the deadline.
“Late applications will receive less consideration,” he said.
Last fall, Hollywood Park saw an influx of prominent Eastern stables with the installation of Cushion Track and Panza has been on recruiting trips throughout the country in the hopes of drawing additional outfits here for the upcoming dates.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell