The 3-year-old nominations represent stables from across the country, including the California conditioners Bob Baffert, Richard Mandella, and Doug O'Neill, Kentucky-based trainers such as Dale Romans, Ken McPeek, and Frank Brothers -- all currently wintering in Florida -- and the multi-state operation of Steve Asmussen.
The national powerhouse stable of Todd Pletcher leads the list with 21 nominations. Among them are Any Given Saturday, owned by WinStar Farm; Circular Quay, owned by Doreen and Michael Tabor; Ravel, owned by Tabor and Derrick Smith; and Scat Daddy, owned by Tabor and James Scatuorchio. Pletcher won the Lane's End Stakes in 2005 with Flower Alley and in 2001 with Balto Star.
Patrick Biancone, who maintains a stable at Turfway, adds six to the list, including Time Squared for Fab Oak Stable, et. al., and Belgravia for Tabor, Smith, Mrs. John Magnier, and Zayat Stables.
Nominations with recent Turfway wins are U D Ghetto, winner of the 2006 Kentucky Cup Juvenile (gr. III) for trainer Tony Reinstedler; Carnacks Choice, who won the Turfway Prevue for trainer Greg Foley; and Joe Got Even, who won the WEBN Stakes for trainer Phil Sims. The Prevue and the WEBN are Turfway preps for the Lane's End. The third prep, the John A. Battaglia Memorial, is set for March 3.
All horses nominated to the Lane's End Stakes are automatically also nominated to the Battaglia Memorial as well as to the Rushaway Stakes and the Hansel Stakes on the Lane's End undercard.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory