The Wayne Catalano-trained juvenile filly champion drew post five in the 1 1/16-mile race and returns to the turf for the first time since she dominated males in last fall’s Summer Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine. The homebred daughter of Rahy is unbeaten in two starts on the grass.
Regular rider Rene Douglas retains the mount on Dreaming of Anna, who swept all four of her starts last year, including the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. 1) at Churchill Downs Nov. 4. She cut back to 6 1/2 furlongs for the Old Hat in her 2007 debut and tired in the stretch after prompting the pace for a half-mile.
Dreaming of Anna was produced by Calabrese’s mare Justenuffheart, a stakes winner on turf. Dreaming of Anna also won the Tippett Stakes sprinting on the grass at Colonial Downs last year.
Dreaming of Anna faces a two-time turf stakes winner in the Gaily Gaily in Richlyn Farm’s Pay Wright, to be ridden by Edgar Prado for trainer George Weaver. The daughter of French Envoy scored wire-to-wire victories in the Salem County Stakes at Meadowlands in early October and the John Franks Juvenile Fillies Turf last out at Calder Nov. 11.
The Pletcher stable has a solid contender in this race as well with Team Valor Stable’s Audacious Chloe, teamed with jockey John Velazquez. A $300,000 Saratoga yearling purchase, the daughter of More Than Ready won the Junior Champion Stakes at Monmouth Park in August with Pay Wright third. Audacious Chloe just missed last out, losing a neck decision when second in the Jessamine County at Keeneland Oct. 26.
Completing the field of nine drawn for the Gaily Gaily are J D Farm’s Dantrelle Light, G. Watts Humphrey Jr.’s Communique, Roberto Arango’s Suaveness, Namcook Stable’s Fanlight Fanny, David Hutson’s Bishop Estates, and Sarum Farm’s Gatorize.
$100,000 Gaily Gaily Stakes (Race 7, 3:54 p.m.)
3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 1/16 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Pay Wright (FL), 121, Edgar S. Prado
2. Dantrelle Light (FL), 119, Elvis Trujillo
3. Communique (KY), 117, Javier Castellano
4. Audacious Chloe (KY), 121, John R. Velazquez
5. Dreaming of Anna (KY), 121, Rene R. Douglas
6. Suaveness (FL), 121, Eduardo O. Nunez
7. Fanlight Fanny (KY), 119, Fernando Jara
8. Bishop Estates (KY), 117, Eddie Castro
9. Gatorize (KY), 119, Rafael Bejarano
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru