Louisiana Derby Day is the richest day of racing in Louisiana history. The five stakes on the card offer $2.1 million in purses, headlined by the $600,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II), the biggest prep to date for the Kentucky Derby.
The rest of the Derby Day stakes schedule includes the $400,000 Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies, the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) for older horses, the $500,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) for older turf horses, and the $100,000 Bienville Stakes for filly and mare turf sprinters.
The Louisiana Derby has already attracted 107 early-bird nominations, which also nominated 3-year-olds to the two earlier Derby prep races, the Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 13 and the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) on Feb. 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity