Louisiana Derby Day is the richest day of racing in Louisiana history. The five stakes on the card offer $2.1 million in purses, headlined by the $600,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II), the biggest prep to date for the Kentucky Derby.
The rest of the Derby Day stakes schedule includes the $400,000 Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies, the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) for older horses, the $500,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) for older turf horses, and the $100,000 Bienville Stakes for filly and mare turf sprinters.
The Louisiana Derby has already attracted 107 early-bird nominations, which also nominated 3-year-olds to the two earlier Derby prep races, the Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 13 and the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) on Feb. 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points