The 1 1/16-mile Borderland is an important local prep for the $600,000 WinStar Derby to be run on March 18. A field of nine is set to battle in the Borderland.
Game of Skill, a 3-year-old Wild Again colt, continues to show much promise, trainer Chris Hartman said.
“Game of Skill is training like a bear," he said. "He was brought to Sunland for both the Borderland and WinStar derbies. In California, he ran a 7 on the Ragozin Sheets as a 2-year-old. That’s an outstanding score for that age. At the time, he was on the move for lots of money. I think he will fit in real well for these races.”
Game of Skill races for the Turf Express, Inc., Mark Cornett, et al. He will be ridden by Sunland’s leading pilot Ken Tohill.
Western Prize presents the strongest case for favoritism in the Borderland Derby, coming off a resolute stretch running victory in the Eddy County Stakes at Zia Park Nov. 24. The strapping Pure Prize colt closes with determination and is stakes placed at Remington Park, Louisiana Downs, Retama Park, and Ellis Park.
The winner of more than $142,000 could be difficult to beat under the direction of trainer Steven Asmussen. Roman Chapa rides Western Prize.
Leading Southern California trainer Doug O’Neill ships Another Brother to El Paso for the Borderland.
$100,000 Borderland Derby (Race 11, 5:05 p.m.)
3-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Imperial Officer (KY), 116, Michael G. Ziegler
2. Another Brother (AR), 116, Ricardo Jaime
3. Congo Bay (KY), 116, Alfredo J. Juarez, Jr.
4. Game of Skill (KY), 116, Ken S. Tohill
5. Takedown (KY), 118, Glen Murphy
6. Topper Power (CA), 122, Jorge M. Bourdieu
7. Western Prize (KY), 122, Roman Chapa
8. Folsum (CO), 122, Duane Lee Sterling
9. Jack Hes Tops (CA), 116, Casey T. Lambert
Most Popular Stories
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys