Trainer Cam Gambolati said Spectacular Bid Stakes winner Buffalo Man would stay in Florida for Monday's $100,000 OBS Championship in Ocala rather than travel to New Orleans for Saturday's $300,000 Risen Star (gr. III) at Fair Grounds.
The son of El Prado drew the far outside post 14 for the 1 1/16-mile Risen Star.
“We’re going to the OBS Championship in Ocala on Monday instead,” said Gambolati Wednesday morning. “It didn’t make a lot of sense to ship all the way (to New Orleans) to run against some of those good horses like Circular Quay and Notional with that post.
“We’re just trying to get a two-turn race into him before the Fountain of Youth (gr. II). That’s the main objective for now. We don’t have to ship so far and we’ve got Edgar (Prado) to ride him.” The OBS is run at 1 1/16 miles.
The $300,000 Fountain of Youth is March 3 at Gulfstream Park.
Ol Memorial Stable and Ed Glasscock’s 3-year-old Buffalo Man was purchased for $190,000 at the Adena Springs 2-year-old sales last year by a partnership that includes University of Louisville head basketball coach Rick Pitino. He was impressive winning the six-furlong Spectacular Bid Stakes at Gulfstream on Jan. 7. In his only career start around two turns, Buffalo Man won the Storm Cat Stakes at Meadowlands on Nov. 11 by 7 3/4 lengths going one mile and 70 yards.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Chasing Landaluce
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points