Seven lightly raced colts square off in the $150,000 Swale Stakes (gr. II), one of two graded stakes for 3-year-olds on the Gulfstream Park racing program Saturday.
The Swale, at 6 1/2 furlongs joins the one-mile Holy Bull in the 3-year-old spotlight at Gulfstream, which presents six graded stakes Saturday. John Murphy Jr.’s Adore the Gold and Zayat Stable’s Forefathers are likely to get the most attention in the Swale.
Adore the Gold, to be ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, has won three of four starts for trainer Michael Gorham with stakes victories in the Dover at Delaware Park and H. Stewart Mitchell at Laurel Park to his credit. The highly regarded homebred by Formal Gold comes into the Swale after a pair of bullet five-furlong workouts over the track.
Forefathers, with Manoel Cruz aboard, was a $680,000 Saratoga yearling purchase and finished second making his career debut on turf at Lingfield in England in late August. Later sent to trainer Nick Zito, the son of Gone Westwon both of his starts since then impressively at Calder late last year.
Completing the field of seven entered in the Swale are Leprechaun Racing’s Gunfight, Shyman Farm’s First Cavalry, WinStar Farm and Gulf Coast Farms’ Cowtown Cat, Reata Thoroughbred Racing’s Reata’s Rocket, and Stonerside Stable’s Storm Trust.
$150,000 Swale Stakes (gr. II, Race 5, 3:17 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 6 1/2 Furlongs
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Gunfight (KY), 116, Edgar S. Prado
2. Adore the Gold (KY), 118, Cornelio H. Velasquez
3. First Cavalry (KY), 116, Elvis Trujillo
4. Cowtown Cat (KY), 116, John R. Velazquez
5. Reata's Rocket (ON), 120, Rene R. Douglas
6. Forefathers (KY), 116, Manoel R. Cruz
7. Storm Trust (KY), 116, Christopher P. DeCarlo
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says