The 18-year-old Antongeorgi was thrown when Charm N Broad, ridden by Garrett Gomez, came out and bumped his mount, Fappiano’s Legacy, on the second turn in the 1 1/16-mile maiden claming race for 3-year-old fillies. Fappiano’s Legacy fell and tossed Antongeorgi, who was temporarily unconscious after the incident.
Charm N Broad finished third, but was disqualified for interference. There was no word on the condition of Fappiano’s Legacy.
Santa Anita’s first-aid clinic released Antongeorgi, but doctors recommended that he see a local physician for x-rays.
"As of right now, he’s fine. He felt a little delirious but he doesn’t have a head injury and he’s going to get an x-ray of his back done at the Irwindale Industrial Clinic," said the jockey’s agent, Tim Malgarini. "I’d rather have him go there where he can get right in than have to wait in the hospital emergency room."
Antongeorgi currently ranks seventh in the standings at Santa Anita with 10 wins from 87 starts.
"He’s a good listener and a hardworking kid," Malgarini said. "He’s got all the right tools. With or without the bug, I think he’s going to do well in the future."
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap