Shadwell Stable’s Invasor worked five furlongs in 1:00 4/5 Saturday morning at Palm Meadows in final preparation for next Saturday’s $500,000 Donn Handicap (gr. 1) at Gulfstream Park.
Trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, the 5-year-old Argentine-bred son of Candy Stripes will be making his first start in the 1 1/8-mile Donn since clinching 2006 Horse of the Year honors with his victory over Bernardini in the Breeders’ Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. 1) at Churchill Downs on Nov. 4.
Invasor’s time was tied for the second fastest among 32 horses that worked the five-eighths distance on the Palm Meadows tab Saturday morning. Zayat Stable’s 3-year-old Forefathers earned the ‘bullet’ with a time of :58 3/5. The latter is a Gone West colt trained by Nick Zito, who also is expected to see stakes action next Saturday in the $150,000 Swale Stakes (gr. II).
Another notable runner to work five furlongs on the Palm Meadows tab Saturday morning was Fox Hill Farm’s 5-year-old mare Round Pond, timed in 1:01 4/5. Trained by Michael Matz, the daughter of Awesome Again posted a 14-1 upset in the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Distaff (gr. 1) at Churchill and is being pointed for a possible return in the $200,000 Rampart Handicap (gr. II) at Gulfstream on Mar. 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records