Trillium Stable’s graded stakes winner Dreadnaught ships into South Florida from Maryland for the third time this winter as one of the horses to beat in a full field of 12 older horses entered in Sunday’s $150,000 Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Jockey Jean-Luc Samyn gets a return call on the 7-year-old gelding Dreadnaught in the 1 3/8-mile turf feature for trainer Tom Voss. The son of Lac Ouimet is based at Voss’ Atlanta Hall training center in Maryland, which was home to the remarkable gelding John’s Call a few years back for the same connections.
Dreadnaught won the W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) at Calder in 2004 in his first trip south and finished fourth in that race in 2005. He made the trip by van down I-95 again for the 2006 edition in December, but was scratched when the race was forced off turf. Most recently, Dreadnaught made the round trip once again to finish an unlucky second by a neck in the Fort Lauderdale Stakes at Gulfstream on Jan. 6.
R A Hill’s 4-year-old Devil’s Preacher won the 12-furlong McKnight run on a ‘sloppy’ track in his first-ever start on the main track after posting a 10-1-3-3 record on grass, placing in a pair of stakes last year. Jockey Rafael Bejarano gets a return call on the son of Pulpit for trainer George Weaver.
Anstu Stable’s 5-year-old gelding Ramazutti will get plenty of attention with jockey John Velazquez in the saddle after finishing third in the McKnight last out on Dec. 16. Trained by Anthony Sciametta, Jr., Ramazutti is a chestnut by Honor Grades and ran the race of his life when second by a neck in the Pan American Handicap (gr. IIIT) At Gulfstream on April 1 after leading until the final strides.
$150,000 Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT, Race 9, 5:15 p.m.), 4 & Up, 1 3/8 Miles (Turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Devil's Preacher (KY), 114, Rafael Bejarano
2. Tissy Fit (KY), 113, Rajiv Maragh
3. Spider Power (IRE), 114, Joe Bravo
4. Mustanfar (KY), 115, Fernando Jara
5. Mending Fences (KY), 114, Javier Castellano
6. Request for Parole (KY), 114, Manoel R. Cruz
7. Ramazutti (MD), 115, John R. Velazquez
8. Bee Charmer (IRE), 114, Edgar S. Prado
9. Interpatation (KY), 115, Tom G. Turner
10. Can't Beat It (KY), 116, Eddie Castro
11. Dreadnaught (KY), 116, Jean-Luc Samyn
12. Gin and Sin (FL), 114, Mark Guidry