Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, off to a good start at the Oaklawn Park meet, sends Time's Mistress in Saturday's $50,000 Dixie Belle Stakes for 3-year-old fillies going six furlongs.
Charles Kidder's daughter of Mr. Greeley could go as the favorite against eight rivals in this Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) preview, including stakes winners Devil House and Cohiba Miss.
Time's Mistress has won two of her five career starts and lost any chance when she got a poor start in the Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) at Churchill Downs in late November. Both of her wins were in sprints -- a six-furlong maiden score at Arlington and a seven-furlong win over allowance rivals at Churchill Downs in mid-November.
Two proven stakes fillies will also draw plenty of attention on Saturday, Williams Stiritz's Devil House and Mike Rutherford's Cohiba Miss.
Devil House captured River Downs' Pepsi Bassinet Stakes in September for trainer Terry Gestes, running her career mark to three wins from four starts and earnings to $92,765.
Cohiba Miss won Turfway's Kentucky Cup Juvenile Fillies prior to finishing fourth in the Golden Rod. The daughter of Cat Thieffinished behind Devil House in the Pepsi Bassinet before that. A Bernie Flint trainee, Cohiba Miss will be turning back to six furlongs after four straight two-turn outings and has trained nicely coming up to the race. The filly now sports a record of three wins from 10 starts and earnings of $141,325.
Steve Asmussen, who won last year's Dixie Belle with More Moonlight, has tabbed Jess Jackson's Kauai Calls for Saturday's race.
The daughter of Fusaichi Pegasus won two starts at Saratoga last summer before finishing up the track in the Kentucky Cup Juvenile Fillies. She has trained well heading into the Dixie Belle and will command plenty of attention.
$50, Dixie Belle Stakes (Race 8, 4:19 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 6 Furlongs
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Cohiba Miss (KY), 119, Willie Martinez
2. Kauai Calls (KY), 119, Eusebio Razo, Jr.
3. Devil House (KY), 119, Terry J. Thompson
4. Miss Goodnight (VA), 119, Perry Compton
5. Dancing Dudete (TX), 117, Stewart Elliott
6. Emma Grace (OK), 117, Beverly Burress
7. Time's Mistress (KY), 119, John Jacinto
8. Cat On a Cloud (KY), 119, Calvin H. Borel
9. Smart Wildcat (KY), 117, Larry J. Sterling, Jr.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong