Last year, NYRA introduced the final weekend of the season with a twilight card beginning at 3 p.m. The move proved to be a huge success, as the 17,993 fans in attendance represented a 29% increase over the final Friday Saratoga attendances of 2005,
In 2007, there will be a twilight race card on the final Friday of the meet, Aug. 31, and an additional Friday twilight card on July 27. The change was approved by the Saratoga Chamber of Commerce at a meeting earlier this month.
First-race post on both Friday twilight days at Saratoga will be 2:45 p.m.
“Our fans really supported the idea of a Friday twilight card at Saratoga,” said Bill Nader, NYRA senior vice-president and chief operating officer.
Like last year, the twilight cards at Saratoga in 2007 will be preludes to blockbuster race days. The July 27 program precedes by one day ABC-TV's broadcast of the $750,000 Whitney Handicap (gr. I) on a program that includes the $250,000 Go for Wand (gr. I), the $500,000 Diana Handicap (gr. IT) and the $200,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt (gr. II).
On Sept. 1, the Woodward (gr. I) and the Forego Handicap (gr. I) will be featured at Saratoga as the meet winds down to closing day, which is Sept. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Geeky Gorgeous Named New Jersey Horse of Year
- Full OBS March Sale to be Conducted Tuesday
- Haskin: 'Horseplayers' and Pioneer Days