Hobeau Farm's 4-year-old filly Swap Fliparoo signaled her readiness for Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint with a three-furlong :35 2/5 blowout Wednesday morning at Gulfstream Park under jockey Javier Castellano.
Trainer Allen Jerkens was poker-faced after the breeze by the 3-1 morning line favorite. After walking Swap Fliparoo back to the barn, the 77-year-old trainer was working his mobile phone making sure the roan/gray daughter of Exchange Rate was fully and completely entered in the six-furlong contest.
“I just want to make sure,” he said while dialing from astride his pony. “At my age, I forget things a little faster than when I was younger.
“Swap Fliparoo does most of her running from off the pace,” he said. “(Castellano) started this work a little slower than I wanted, but that might be her. It's hard to figure sometimes whether to use a jockey for a workout or an exercise rider. You've got to handicap it right. You've got to handicap from the time you get up in the morning.”
NBC-TV will broadcast the Sunshine Millions, an eight-race series at Gulfstream and Santa Anita restricted to Florida and California-breds, from 4 to 6 p.m. (ET).
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next