Leading rider Joe Crispin posted six wins on the Portland Meadows card Jan. 23, giving him a total of 90 Thoroughbred victories through 45 days of racing.
With 33 racing dates remaining in the meeting, Crispin leads both sets of rider standings at Portland Meadows with 90 Thoroughbred wins and 15 in the Quarterhorse category.
In 1982-83, Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens set a Portland Meadows mark for most Thoroughbred wins in a season by a rider with 126 victories.
Crispin began his run of victories on the 10-race program in the third aboard Count Drac ($3.80) for trainer Delmer Webb. In race five he guided Wegota Go Stub ($17) for Jim Fergason, then started a streak of four successive triumphs, capturing the seventh for Bruno Maelfeyt aboard Aksalano ($5.40). In the eighth race it was Jonathan Nance’s Baby Joy LVN ($5) that gave him win number four. He and Nance teamed up again to win the ninth race with Chickenpotpie ($2.80). Crispin wrapped up his six bagger winning the nightcap for Laurie Ansell aboard Stormin Stevie ($9.40).
Crispin won seven races on one card on Nov. 28, 2006. That day he tied the mark he himself set for most wins on one card by one rider at Portland Meadows on Dec. 5, 1998.
Racing resumes on Jan. 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- DiEmanuele Named to Woodbine's Board
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th